Saturday, October 20, 2018

Beto vs Cruz: An Opinion from the Houston Chronicle

I just read the Houston Chronicle Editorial Board endorsement of Beto O’Rourke. The article, dated October 19th, 2018, touches on the personality difference between the two candidates. Republicans are quoted calling Ted Cruz “Lucifer in the flesh” and a “miserable son of a bitch” (John Boehner). Lindsey Graham said, “If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you.” And this is from the people who are supposedly on his team?

Beto O’Rourke is described as a “charismatic El Pasoans” who has “skills, both personal and political.” Who would be “good for Texas” due to his advocating for “Texas through bipartisan cooperation.” He seems like a genuinely good person who wants to do what he thinks is best for Texas. 

I like Beto, and it seems that many others do as well. However, I wonder if there’s anyone who likes Ted Cruz. 

I know that many people may criticize the source of my article, The Houston Chronicle. It’s been heavily criticized for being liberal and being biased. However, the paper endorsed Ted Cruz in 2012. 

The article, however, makes the point that “voters don’t send representatives to Washington to win popularity contests.” They’re saying that whoever we send to Washington shouldn’t be the person who’s going to focus on winning people over rather than representing their state. This is one main difference between Cruz and Beto that I’ve come to realize. During his time in Senate, Cruz seems to be focused on “the higher prize” and advancing only himself. Whereas Beto honestly seems to want to help his people and state. 

If Cruz is elected again, we’ll have another six years 6 of a man more focused on his wants and desires. I don’t know about you, but in my opinion, I don’t want a man like that “representing” me. But I don’t know. Maybe I don’t know anything. But if I could vote, I know who I would vote for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment