Saturday, December 8, 2018

Congress Seats

As I watched the news regarding the funeral for the late President of The United States George H. Bush, I was struck by the announcers talking about the "good ol' days" when politics were not as "tribal." They all seemed set in the fact that the political climate we're in now is the new normal in America and that we will never be able to get back to such a time of civility. I have no idea if this is true or not, but the obvious question for me was, "Why not?" There have been plenty of times where Americans have been divided, only to come together stronger in the end. I hope that this is the case nowadays. I realized that all I heard were people on both sides complaining about the other and no one offering ideas or solutions outside of "It's not my fault, so it's obviously their's." It seems that the only thing everyone can agree on is that our country is divided. I'm not interested in hearing excuses about how or why we are in the situation we are in. I would rather spend my time thinking positively, and doing so has brought me to an idea that won't solve the solution, but might just be a step in the right direction. A new seating chart for the Congress,

When you take a look at the seating chart of the 2016-2018 Congress, it looks almost like a kindergarten classroom where all the boys sat on one side, and the girls sat on the other. By the next day, however, we were all assigned seats that grouped us as evenly as possible. It mixed us up and kept us from secluding each other. This simple kindergarten trick taught us to go out of our way to meet new people and to not be afraid of it.

It's because of this, I propose that Congress sets in alternating red-blue-red-blue seating for at least the first month of every new legislative session. Almost all politicians say that they are willing to "reach across the aisle," but I don't see any reason why there should be an aisle. Because after all, aren't we all American?

No comments:

Post a Comment